Knowing how to clean your hat is critical if you are investing in a high quality American made hat. This is useful information for hat collectors and for the fashionable purchaser alike. Proper care and storage ensures that you will get the most wear out of your hat. For polished style, keeping your wardrobe staples in excellent condition is a must.
HOW TO CLEAN YOUR HAT
- Furfelt and Woolfelt hats can be cleaned with a soft bristled hat brush or soft sponge. Felt hats must be brushed in a counter-clockwise direction with the crown facing you. When dealing with mud, allow the mud to dry. Once it is dry it will be a great deal easier to brush off. Grease spots can be brushed out with a little cornstarch. Many folks will also use a good dry-cleaner.
- Oilskin hats only need a clean wet cloth. Do not use soap because the soap might affect the finish of the hat. You'll find that mud and dirt are easily wiped away with a damp cloth.
- Straw hats can be brushed. A small whiskbroom can be used for those deeply textured straws. Other straws can be cleaned using a soft brush, sponge, or cloth. A moist cloth is very effective.
- Canvas hats can be hand washed. Warm water and mild detergent is all you need. Do not attempt to force dry.
- All hats: Remove dust and lint from your hat periodically to avoid deterioration and soiling.
Please note that hats.com recommends always checking your label and following specific instructions in addition to offering their guidelines.
You can also read all about storing your hat here.
Incorporating hats into your style is a fun way to mix it up and add some detail. hats.com has a vast ‘made in USA' collection to choose from. Their online store has the best filters to make picking out a hat for you easy. Please enjoy a coupon code for 15% off an American made hat when visiting hats.com. The coupon code is USALove.