Are you thinking about planning a trip to Washington, DC? DC has so much to offer, it can be overwhelming. Even as a native to the area, I've not done all the things tourist do. I know, it's crazy! I've put together a list of all the must see, fun things to do in the city. I also have a suggestion about where you should stay while you are here.
16 FUN THINGS TO DO IN DC
There’s a lot to see in our nation's capital, so manage your time wisely, and plan ahead. There you can experience DC’s great museums, most of which have free entry – it’s one of the best things about the city. Here are our recommendations for things to do in DC:
- Indulge at Astro Donuts. It's DC’s best and most popular donut shop. They have innovative flavors like peanut butter, crème brulee, and s’mores.
- Grab your tickets for the Washington Monument when the ticket booth opens at 8:30. There will be a line, so get there early!
- Visit my favorite memorials, the FDR and World War II memorials.
- Walk on the National Mall.
- Tour the White House and the Capitol. (I cannot say I've done either though.)
- Get the best panoramic view of the city at the rooftop on the W Hotel.
- Explore my favorite museums the American History Museum.
- Watch an IMAX movie at the Air and Space Museum.
- Enjoy the beauty of botany at the US Botanical Gardens.
- Devour the city's best burger at Good Eats' Blazin Barn Burger, but opt for the turkey instead of beef; it's more flavorful.
- Catch one of the Kennedy Center's free nightly shows.
- Skip the line at Georgetown cupcake and head to Baked & Wired for a Strawberry Cupcake or Little Bertha’s Sandwich Cookie – think Little Debbie Sandwich Cookie but so, so much better.
- Grab a breakfast biscuit from A Baked Joint; you won't regret it. It's the sister bakery to Georgetown’s Baked & Wired.
- Walk 14th street to shop like a local. You'll spot nationally recognized American made shops too, like Shinola and Marine Layers.
- Discover local DC eats all in one place at Union Market.
- Go out of your way for the city's best pizza at Menomale.