Are you thinking about planning a trip to Washington, DC? DC has so much to offer, it can be overwhelming. Even as a native to the area, I've not done all the things tourist do. I know, it's crazy! I've put together a list of all the must see, fun things to do in the city.
Fun Things To Do In Washington, DC
There’s a lot to see in our nation's capital, so manage your time wisely, and plan ahead. There you can experience DC’s great museums, most of which have free entry – it’s one of the best things about the city.
Here are our recommendations for fun things to do in Washington, DC:
- Indulge at Astro Donuts. It's DC’s best and most popular donut shop. They have innovative flavors like peanut butter, crème brulee, and s’mores.
- Grab your tickets for the Washington Monument when the ticket booth opens at 8:30. There will be a line, so get there early!
- Visit my favorite memorials, the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial and World War II Memorial.
- Walk on the National Mall.
- Tour the White House and the Capitol.
- Explore the National Museum of American History.
- Watch an IMAX movie at the National Air and Space Museum.
- Enjoy the beauty of botany at the United States Botanic Garden.
- Devour the city's best burger, the Blazin' Barn Burger, at Good Stuff Eatery.
- Catch one of the Kennedy Center‘s free nightly shows.
- Head to Baked & Wired for a Strawberry Cupcake or Little Bertha’s Sandwich Cookie – think Little Debbie Sandwich Cookie but so, so much better.
- Grab a breakfast biscuit from A Baked Joint; you won't regret it. It's the sister bakery to Georgetown’s Baked & Wired.
- Walk 14th street to shop like a local. You'll spot nationally recognized American made shops too.
- Discover local DC eats all in one place at Union Market.
- Go out of your way for the city's best pizza at Menomale.
Have you ever wondered whether anything is Made in Washington DC? Check out our list: Ten Things We Love, Made in DC!
Pin this list to save it for later!
This is one place I have wanted to go visit forever. I would love to see the museums, the monuments what makes this country great!
Great list. I am now craving donuts! Time to visit DC 🙂 I visited DC a few years back and it was such a great place to explore. Thanks for the extra ideas.
My daughter now interns for a US Senator, so we love to get a private tour of the Capitol from her! So much histiry there. It’s amazing.
How fun! I haven’t visited before, but would love to go someday. These are some great ideas!
My daughter goes to Georgetown and we LOVE DC! So much to do! Best tip I got regarding DC? Park the car ad Uber everywhere. There is no parking and driving is nuts.
I visited couple of years ago and may next year. I never have an agenda just go with it.
I visited Washington D.C in eighth grade and this list would have been so helpful to have back then, Oh well, guess I will have to make another trip !