Not everyone's living room can be as large as the one photographed above. Even if your living room is small, you want to make sure your space is a reflection of your personality, while still fitting with the room. Especially for those who utilize their living room on a daily basis, you want everything in it to be functional, not just decorative. Make sure the furniture, and rug, you select have multiple purposes.
Here are my five design tips for a small living room.
- Hang a large mirror on the wall to create the illusion of more room.
- Utilize wall space by hanging shelving.
- Consider recessed lighting or overhead lighting to decrease the amount of floor space needed for creating the right amount of light.
- Select furniture that's appropriately sized and doesn't dominate the room.
- Lighten up the room by using a neutral colored rug like a Mohawk SmartStrand American made rug. This will brighten the room and create a focal point for the eye. I love SmartStand because it's stain and soil resistant, so your carpet will always look new.
SmartStrand is the only carpet with built-in stain and soil resistance that will never wear or wash off.
Most stains come clean with water or a little mild detergent.
SmartStrand is environmentally friendly because it’s made in part from renewable resources.
It is made in the USA at Mohawk's manufacturing plant in Calhoun, Georgia.
Disclosure: USA Love List received some products in this post unconditionally or review purposes. Our opinions are always our own, and we aim to write fair and balanced reviews to promote only the very best of American-made products. Don’t miss our other summer features!
My daughter just bought her very first home, it is a small country cottage style home and she just found local folks down the road that hand make cottage style coffee tables, end tables and tv stand all to match so it is perfect for her little new home. Very well made and their prices are very reasonable!
More than lightening the colors, increasing light in general instantly makes rooms feel larger. All five tips can be quick and easy updates.
Great pointer on the neutral rug! Many years ago we replaced a colorful rug in our sunroom with a beige one, and what a difference. We’l be in the market for a new one within the next year, so we’ll consider Mohawk’s options – thanks for the lead!
These are suggestions I never thought of and I also would like to check into these rugs!!
Rosie, I’m so glad you enjoyed these tips! 🙂
Love these tips, especially for those of us living on the east coast in smaller places. I just got a smaller couch and it made all the difference in the world!
Adding recessed lighting or overhead lighting is a great tip and something that never occured to me.