Missouri is a state of extremes; hot summers and cold winters, big cities and small towns. The “Show-Me” state is home to some of the world's best known brands, from Budweiser to Hostess Cupcakes, Dog Chow to Hallmark. However, we're also in the midst of a resurgence of locally-made goods, and there are some amazing companies offering unique, Made In America products that we have come to love.
1. The Original Snake Bite- Missouri has long been associated with beer, and this new item is right in line with that. The Snake Bite is a forked church key and bottle opener that is 100% made in the USA and assembled in St. Louis. The church key vents beer cans to improve the quality of the pour. A fairly new product, the Snake Bite got the ball rolling with a Kickstarter campaign that was more than 400% funded. http://snakebiteco.
2. Askinosie Chocolate- Askinosie Chocolate is bean to bar craft chocolate made in the Ozarks. They offer a wide variety of products from Hazelnut Spread to Mexican Sipping Chocolate and even collections like “Chocolate for Breakfast.” They source and import all beans directly, to ensure a high quality product. They've been featured in the Huffington Post, the New York Times and Oprah.com. Most importantly, it's delicious! https://askinosie.com/
3. Roughneck Beard Products- With an ever-growing culture of bearded men, came a market for products to groom and maintain those beards. Roughneck makes oils, soaps, balms and waxes to keep your beard full, smooth and strong. All are blended, bottled and packaged in St. Louis. http://roughneckbeardcompany.
4. Rawlings- Long known for their sporting goods, Rawlings also offers a wide range of leather goods, made right in Saint Genevieve. Using only American leather, they hand-make wallets, duffle bags, suitcases and briefcases. They are currently featuring a limited edition, numbered series of wallets and bags available online or at Lord and Taylor. http://www.american-
5. 4 Hands Brewing- There's a wide variety of beers made in Missouri, from the biggest name of all to smaller craft breweries. 4 Hands is our favorite. They make tons of specialty beers, like the delicious Chocolate Milk Stout and the fruity Passion Fruit Prussia. They offer recommended food pairings for each beer, and focus on creative new brews.
6. Whittle Shortline Railroad– In the era of tablets and interactive video games, handmade toys are a truly special find. Whittle Shortline Railroad creates handcrafted wooden trains and tracks. While their trains are carefully created with child-safe paints and modeled after North American trains, they are also compatible with most major commercial train sets, like Thomas and Chuggington.
7. Portenzo phone and tablet cases- Started in a basement with hand tools, Portenzo has become a leading producer of leather phone and tablet cases. They also create custom pieces with leather stamping and embossing. Our favorite are the classic book-bound cases, that turn your cell phone into a beautiful antique book. http://shop.portenzo.com/
8. Billy Goat Chips- Once you eat a Billy Goat chip, there's no going back. Created using restaurant techniques with a focus on high quality ingredients, these potato chips are delicious and addictive. Each bag is filled by hand to ensure it is full of chips, rather than air, and they're packaged for delivery within 48 hours to ensure freshness. https://www.billygoatstl.com/
9. Sandlot Goods- Out of Kansas City, this company is creating beautiful handcrafted leather goods. From purses to wallets to belts, all are made with American Horween leather. They also feature Made in KC bags and t-shirts. http://sandlotgoods.com/
10. Diamond Pet Foods- Diamond Pet Foods, headquartered in Meta, Missouri, was founded in 1970 and has become one of the top pet food companies in the country. They focus on creating a premium pet food that is affordable. They've stayed in the family- the second generation of the founding families still own and operate the business. We like their Naturals Grain-Free line that is high in animal-proteins. http://www.diamondpet.com/
Guest post by Lindsay Mohr. Lindsay was born in Missouri, and though she's lived all around the country, she has returned to St. Louis, which she considers to be the perfect city. Writing is both her hobby and job, whether it be grant writing and fundraising, or doing public relations and promoting her favorite local companies.