I'm not gonna lie, my favorite part of Super Bowl Sunday is the food….dutch oven chili, nachos, wings, and dips…OH MY! This year my kiddos decided they want to make something to add to our game day feast. With great dismay, they realized we were missing a dessert. This could NOT happen! To remedy this, they want to make Goetze's Candy Caramel Apple Pizza. MMM…caramel…pizza…..
We gave the Caramel Apple Pizza recipe a pre Super Bowl Sunday test run- with great success! This recipe is really easy and fun to make with kids! My kiddos especially liked pressing the cookie dough onto the pizza pan and putting the toppings on the ‘pizza'.
Super Bowl Snacks: Caramel Apple Pizza
This recipe can be found at www.goetzecandy.com. Goetze's Candy Company has been making candy in the USA for over 100 years.
For the caramel sauce:
- 30 unwrapped Goetze’s Caramel Creams®
- ¼ cup evaporated milk
- 1 tbs butter
For the ‘pizza':
- 2 large apples, peeled, sliced, and soaked in water with lemon juice (I don't think our apples were large enough! I would have used at least one more if we weren't down to our last 2.)
- 1 tube of refrigerated sugar cookie dough (we made our dough from scratch, using my favorite sugar cookie recipe)
- 1 8oz package of softened cream cheese
- ½ cup smooth peanut butter (for American made nut butter suggestions, check out Jill's recommendations)
- optional: 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 tbs honey
- ¼ cup chopped peanuts
Press cookie dough onto a 12” pizza pan.
Bake according to the package and let cool.
Mix the peanut butter and cream cheese together. *My kiddos weren't a fan of the peanut butter + cream cheese mixture so we added a tablespoon of honey, to sweeten it, and a 1/2 tsp of cinnamon to spice it up a bit.
Spread mixture over the cookie.
Heat milk, butter and melt Caramel Creams® in a saucepan over med-low heat, stirring constantly.
Put apple slices on top of pizza.
Drizzle the Caramel Creams® sauce over the pizza….mmmmm…..caramel sauce….
Sprinkle nuts over the pizza.
Our finished pizza (we skipped the peanut topping):
Sophie is proud of her work!
The kiddos want to make the Caramel Apple Pizza for Super Bowl Sunday using chocolate peanut butter…. AND they suggest topping it with vanilla ice cream. Hopefully we will be watching the Patriots play while we are enjoying it!
The stoneware pizza dish we used is a made in the USA Pampered Chef Round Stone with Handles in White.
The colorful dish-ware shown is American made Fiesta dinnerware by Homer Laughlin.
Cover photo courtesy of www.goetzecandy.com.