As we move into fall, we know you want to keep that healthy summer glow going as long as you can. Our secret: American made self-tanning products. If you are looking for information on self tanner for beginners, you'll be glad to know that sunless tanning has come a long way. However, when it comes to self tanners, there is no time to gamble with unknowns. When you buy a product manufactured in the USA, you can have more confidence in the quality and consistency of the ingredients, not to mention the huge breakthroughs self tanning has had.
Self Tanner for Beginners: Sunless Tanning Tips
There are many reasons to try the new generation of self tanners. They offer:
- less fake tanner scent
- more consistent coverage
- no streaking
- “real” tan look – orange is gone
Sunless tanner provides an instant glow, safe from UV rays, helping us keep our skin youthful longer. In the spring I use bronzing mousse to get instant color while I build a more tan complexion with a gradual tanner. I usually keep using the same foundation and add some matte bronzer to pick up a little extra color on my face as well.
My favorite two American made sunless tanning products, perfect for those new to sunless tanners:
Supergoop! Healthy Glow Sunless Tan SPF 40
Supergoop! is famously known for its USA-made, safe sunscreen, so it only makes sense the company would create a self tanner with an SPF. The Healthy Glow Sunless Tan SPF 40 is a classic self tanner in spray form. It is foolproof and easy to apply for a medium golden sunless tan. If you want sun protection, be sure to apply at least 15 minutes prior to being in the sun. Buy Supergoop! Healthy Glow Sunless Tan SPF 40 on the Supergoop! website.
Apply this sunless tanning spray with a mitt or your hands, and you will look like you just stepped off a tropical island.
Don't miss our list of Best Non-toxic Self Tanners for more sunless tanner product suggestions.
Benefit Cosmetics Hoola Matte Bronzing Powder
Try some bronzer pressed powder on your face; it will help bring your foundation deeper to match your new tan. Stick with a matte powder, like Benefit Cosmetics Hoola Matte Bronzing Powder for this. I use this to create slight contouring and then dust it all over to keep a natural look. Shop Hoola Matte Bronzing Powder at Ulta.
Don't miss our list of best face bronzers for more of our favorite American made bronzer suggestions.
How To Apply Self Tanner
These tips are a ‘must know' for self tanner beginners. They are also a great refresher if you have been using sunless tanner for awhile with inconsistent results.
- Always start by doing a dry exfoliation with a body mitt or brush. Rinse off and keep your skin free of other products and oils to let the tanner do its job with the most even results.
- Choose the right shade for your skin tone. Going from very light to ultra dark will show streaks. Change gradually for more natural looking results.
- Work quickly applying self-tanner to one area at a time. An example is starting below the knee then moving above the knee rather than the whole leg at once.
- Apply an even amount.
- Go easy on hands, feet, knees, elbows or any other dry areas. If you are particularly dry here put a small amount of lotion on these areas only before applying the tanner. It helps it to not absorb the tanner into the excessive dry spots but rather evenly coat it.
For more made in USA self tanner options, check out our source list for made in USA self tanners.
Have you visited our Made in USA Shopping District? It is the place to start your shopping when you want to find the best of American-made.
Pin this list to save it for later!