What is the Whole30 challenge? It's the popular challenge where you only eat the most nutrient-dense foods for 30 days. The idea is that you'll reconnect with what you're eating and eat three meals a day (snacking is okay, only in emergencies). It's not a diet, and it's not about losing weight; it's about creating a healthy relationship with food and working towards food freedom.
I've just ended my fifth round of Whole30. My great results (or non-scale victories (NSV)) from doing Whole30 this last time were losing inches, glowing skin, and no knee aches. Those are great results, right?
What is the Whole 30 Challenge?
The challenge excludes the following foods in any and all forms, including any by-products from them:
- Additives, like MSG, sulfates, soy lecithin, carrageenan, and cornstarch. (Here's the official information about additives.)
- Grains, including corn
- Legumes, including peanuts
- Sugar (This means no sugar of any kind, added to anything you consume. You can eat fruit but in moderation. The rationale behind this is that sugar offers no nutritional value, but fruit has fiber, vitamins and minerals alongside their naturally occurring sugars.)
- No eating foods with no brakes or recreating treats with compliant ingredients.
- Do not consume baked goods, junk foods, or treats with “approved” ingredients.
- No snacking, unless it's an emergency.
What to Eat During the Whole30 Challenge
- Fats, natural and healthy ones
- Meat and seafood
- Nuts and seeds
- Vegetables (just no corn, no veggies in the form of chips and no restaurant fries)
- and Emergency Snacks (see our list below)
My Top Four Tips for Making the Whole 30 a Success for YOU:
- Don't be afraid of fat. Each meal requires you to eat healthy fats. They will keep you full.
- Keep it SIMPLE. You don't have to make new, complicated recipes. Save time by cooking with foods you already love and keep your Whole30 grocery list simple.
- Flavor, flavor, flavor. Make sure you're adding citrus, seasoning, herbs, and fats to your food, and you won't be bored.
- Plan ahead. You don't want to arrive home hankering to eat and not have anything planned for your meal.
Why Try to Buy American When Putting Together Your Whole30 Grocery List?
Whole30 is all about fueling your body with wholesome quality ingredients. All the time, but especially when you are hoping to get results from the Whole30 program, you want to be able to trust that what you see on the ingredient list is what you are putting in your body. These American companies are often small, independent companies, manufacturing their products in the USA for the love of it, with a focus on quality. You could probably call them up and talk to them if you wanted to! Support these companies you can count on. As long as you are reading the nutrition labels anyway, also keep an eye out for “Made in the USA”.
Check out our source lists for Whole30 compliant foods to add to your grocery list!
Are you doing Whole30? Thinking about it? Let us know in the comments below!
Follow USA Love List's board Whole30 Recipes on Pinterest.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post which USA Love List is proud to share with you because, sponsored or not, we only share stuff we love.
Header Image Credit: Whole30
Pin this list to save it for later!