On the hunt for a dishwasher detergent that is safe for your family and for the environment? Well, I have you covered with this list of non-toxic and plant based dishwasher detergents. All of the natural and eco-friendly dishwasher detergent brands that you see in this list are made in the USA, so you can trust that only the best and safest ingredients are used.
Non Toxic & Plant Based Dishwasher Detergents
Have you ever thought about how safe your dishwasher detergent really is? Every soap leaves a residue after rinsing, even the soap that you use in the dishwasher. The colorful liquid pods made by popular dishwasher detergent brands can contain synthetic dyes, chlorine, phosphates, triclosan, and other ingredients that can irritate skin, cause breathing problems, disrupt hormones, and pollute the environment. YUCK! Don't give these chemicals a chance to get stuck to your dishes or silverware!
It is possible to find dishwasher detergent that does not contain these toxic chemicals! In fact, I found THIRTEEN American made non-toxic detergent brands to include in this list. They are all made with plant based and mineral based ingredients.
Why Plant Based Dishwasher Detergents?
Plant based dishwasher detergents are cleaning products made from natural, renewable plant-based ingredients instead of synthetic chemicals. They are designed to be safer for the environment and human health, while still effectively cleaning and removing stains and grease from dishes and utensils in a dishwasher.
These detergents use plant-based ingredients such as enzymes, citric acid, and natural surfactants to clean dishes. Some common plant-based dishwasher detergent ingredients include:
- Enzymes: Enzymes are naturally occurring proteins that break down food and grease on dishes. They are often derived from plants and are used in plant-based dishwasher detergents to help remove tough stains and residue.
- Citric Acid: Citric acid is a natural acid found in citrus fruits that helps to remove hard water stains and buildup from dishes.
- Natural Surfactants: Surfactants are substances that help to break down grease and food particles on dishes. Plant-based dishwasher detergents often use natural surfactants such as coconut oil or cornstarch instead of synthetic surfactants that can be harmful to the environment.
Plant based dishwasher detergents are generally considered safer for the environment and human health compared to traditional dishwasher detergents, which often contain harsh chemicals that can be harmful when inhaled or come into contact with skin. Additionally, many plant-based dishwasher detergents come in recyclable packaging, which further reduces their environmental impact.
Don't miss our list of Eco Friendly Laundry Detergents Made in the USA
The List Criteria
In order to make it on our list, non-toxic dishwasher detergent brands had to be;
- Phosphate Free
- Parabens Free
- Dye Free
- Chlorine Free
- Petroleum Free
- Septic tank safe (biodegradable)
- and of course… MADE IN THE USA!
Most of the dishwasher detergent brands on this list are Leaping Bunny Certified, and many are either EWG (Environmental Working Group) verified or EWG A rated.
We have found non-toxic dishwasher pods, dishwasher gel, dishwasher powder, and even dishwasher tablets to include in this list, so no matter your preference, you should be able to find a brand to try out.
Pin this list to save it for later!