Are you on the hunt for a kitchen knives made in USA? Surprisingly, I found many brands that are American made and in every price range. This list includes all-purpose knives, chef knives, serrated knives, paring knives and more, all made in the USA. But first, do you know what to look for in a kitchen knife? With the help of my chef husband, I have listed some tips below.
Tips to Buying the Best Kitchen Knives
My husband has worked in a kitchen for for over 30 years. He taught me that you can't prepare the best meals with the worst tools. Good knives are a chef's best friend. A bad knife can lengthen prep time, make a food presentation look sloppy, and can even cause an injury. Below are tips that he shared with me on buying the best kitchen knives.
1. You only really need three really good knives; a chef knife, a paring knife, and a serrated knife.
There is no need to go crazy and purchase every type of knife you see. A chef only needs three types of knives to prepare meals.
- A chef knife is the most versatile knife in the kitchen. It can be used for slicing and dicing vegetables, chopping herbs, and preparing meats. This is the most important knife for a chef to use, so it has earned its name. A paring knife can be the smallest knife and it is another chef's must have tool.
- A paring knife is used to peel vegetables and fruits, to trim and clean small items like shrimp and strawberries, and for controlled, detailed cutting.
- A serrated knife is also known as a bread knife. It is used to cut something with a harder outside and a softer middle, like a loaf of bread.
2. Knives are made two ways; forged or stamped.
- Forged knives are knives that are made by pounding and heating a single bar of steel. Most forged knives are made by skilled craftsmen, so they are commonly more expensive. Forged knives are usually heavier and can be sharpened.
- Stamped knives are cut or stamped from a single sheet of steel. They are usually mass produced and are lighter in weight.
3. Invest in quality.
Knives are kitchen tools that are worth investing in and a well made knife can last decades, if not a lifetime. A high quality knife will have a sturdy handle, and a blade that holds up to sharpening.
4. The best way to decide on a knife is to feel it in your hands.
The best made knife won't work the best if it isn't comfortable in your hand. A knife that is awkward, too heavy, or too large for what you want it to do can lead to sloppy work and injury.
This list of kitchen knives made in USA is just getting started! If you have a favorite American made knife company that we missed, let us know in the comments below and we can add them this list.
Have you visited our Made in USA Shopping District? It is the place to start your shopping when you want to find the best of American-made.
Pin this list to save it for later!