Guest post by Jessica Mudrick of Delaware County Moms
Ohio is a beautiful state with a diverse geological landscape & fantastic attractions that keep visitors coming back for more. From the world class amusement parks of Cedar Point and Kings Island to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Lake Erie Islands & shore communities there is something for everyone in your family to enjoy. This top 10 list of things made in Ohio was extremely difficult to limit because Ohio is such a large and diverse state; limiting it to just 10 products was hard!
10 Products We Love: Made in Ohio
- Bob Evans This restaurant chain started in Rio Grande, Ohio where the founder Bob Evans lived on a farm of course! Bob Evans has expanded in just over 50 years to include 715 chain restaurants in 18 states, products that can be purchased in stores and for the past 42 years the company has held a farm festival on the original Bob Evans Farm.
- Airstream Trailers Airstream Trailers began in the 1930′s by Wally Byam, who was tired of pulling a platform for his tent, behind his Model T Ford chassis. He built the first tear shaped shelter on the platform with a kerosene stove & small ice chest. Today, you can tour the factory & see Airstream Trailers being built!
- Wendy’s Yes this fast food chain began in Columbus, Ohio when Dave Thomas named his hamburger joint after his daughter. Today Wendy’s includes over 6,500 franchises and is 27 countries!
- Harry London Chocolates Harry London learned to make chocolate from his father & started the company in 1922 in his home kitchen. Today, Harry London Chocolates are manufactured in Canton, Ohio and factory tours are available for a small fee and chocolates can be purchased on line.
- Scotts Miracle-Gro Company Scott’s is the world’s largest marketer of branded consumer lawn and garden products. Founded in 1868 in Maysville, Ohio Scotts is now a multi billion dollar business, whose head quarters are still located in Maysville, Ohio!
- Wilson Footballs The official football of the NFL has been manufactured in Ada, Ohio since 1955. The factory produces around 4,000 footballs per day or over 700,000 per year.
- Rossi Pasta Hand-made, fresh pasta is cranked by hand, cut by hand & hung to dry-even the eggs used for the pasta are cracked by hand. The pasta is fantastic with big flavor & texture you can’t find in a store! Rossi Pasta is available online and located in Marietta, Ohio.
- Anchor Hocking Glass has been manufactured in Lancaster, Ohio since 1905 and today have an additional plant in Monaca, Pennsylvania. The company manufactures a wide variety of glass, including drink & cookware but so much more & is available in retailers across the world!
- Skyline Chili is not your average chili! A Cincinnati tradition since 1949, this infamous chili is now available for purchase online as well. There are a few ways to get your chili, my favorite is the 4 way, noodles topped with chili, onions, mounds of cheese & oyster crackers!
- Longaberger Baskets headquartered in Newark, Ohio in a building replicate of the Medium Market Basket but 160 times larger, Longaberger Baskets are manufactured in Frazeysburg, Ohio and sold through a variety of stores & home party sales consultants. Founded in 1973, Longaberger is still family owned!
Jessica Mudrick was born in Cincinnati, Ohio and moved with her family to Cutler, Ohio and grew up visiting her grandparents in Northern Ohio & vacationing on the islands in Lake Erie. Jessica attended college at Marietta College, in Marietta, Ohio where she met her husband. She currently lives outside Philadelphia and runs the website Delaware County Moms as well as being a realtor and full-time mom. Jessica enjoys taking her children to Ohio to visit her family farm & see many sites in Ohio including her family favorite, The Wilds.