About a year ago, I changed some of my eating habits and started exercising. Happily, I noticed results rather quickly. But when I REALLY started noticing change is when I picked up some dumbbells and started a strength training routine. Within a month I could feel myself getting stronger, not to mention I was actually seeing some definition in my arms, stomach, and legs.
Using dumbbells made in the USA as part of your strength training is an excellent way to care for your body.
Benefits of Strength Training
Using dumbbells for strength training will not make you look like a bodybuilder unless you intentionally train to be a bodybuilder. For most people, the goal of strength training simply is to make muscles stronger. Stronger muscles allow for better life functioning; you're able to lift a child, carry groceries, or move things without hurting your body. Consider just a few of the many benefits of using dumbbells for strength training:
- Better bone density. Bone strength coincides with muscle strength, descreasing injury to your body if you fall. As we age, bone density diminishes, which increases the risk of osteoporosis. Strength training keeps bones healthy.
- Happier mood. Strength training helps release mood-boosting endorphins that increase joy and decrease anxiety.
- Enhanced range of motion. Need to reach behind your head to grab something? How about extending your arm far to the side to catch something falling? Strength training increases your ability to reach farther without hurting yourself.
- Faster metabolism. Want to burn more calories? Muscle mass burns more calories than fat.
- Decreased abdominal fat. Fat around the waistline greatly increases a number of health-related risks, including diabetes and fatty liver. Decreasing stomach fat through strength training and exercise definitely helps in this area!
Looking for workout wear? Check out our list of Made in the USA Activewear!
Combining Strength Training with Cardiovascular Exercise
Sure, it's easier just to jump on the treadmill or other cardio equipment and take off walking, running, spinning, or stepping, but when you combine aerobic exercise with using dumbbells for strengthening your muscles, the benefits increase exponentially! Your heart gets healthy and stronger, your cognitive functioning improves, and so much more!
PLEASE NOTE: Before beginning any exercise program, consult your physician for what's best for you. USA Love List does not replace any professional medical authority, and the information on this page is not a substitute for professional medical advice.
Why Buy Dumbbells Made in The USA?
We're constantly touting the economic, social, and employment benefits of buying American-made products, not to mention you're getting a better end product. There are some special reasons for buying dumbbells made in the USA.
Most notably, you get real people to help you choose what's best for you. Case in point: As I was doing research for this article, I met Mike Reed, founder and owner of Micro Gainz. We had a nice long chat about why he started his company, where he sources his metal, and he answered general questions about the industry. He also made comments such as, “Ask me anything. I have nothing to hide,” and “If you need anything from me, my email address is….” Customer service is a huge win when it comes to buying dumbbells.
Another reason for buying American-made dumbbells is because many of the people who purchase them from other countries complain a) the dumbbells emit a strong industrial odor they can't get rid of; b) if something goes wrong, they have a very difficult time getting the problem resolved. When you buy USA-made dumbbells, you typically receive better products and better warranties.
It's time to don your workout apparel and get curling, pressing, and extending for a healthier YOU!
Have you visited our Made in USA Shopping District? It is the place to start your shopping when you want to find the best of American-made.
Pin this list to save it for later!