What is face serum and why should you add it to your beauty routine? We give you the quick run down on the benefits of serum, and how to apply face serum under your foundation.
What is Serum?
A serum is a facial product that you might want to consider adding to your facial routine if you are having an issue with your skin, like redness, dark spots, blemishes, sun damage, or wrinkles for example. Serums contain important antioxidant vitamins and minerals that seep into the skin to target these specific skin issues. Serum ingredients penetrate directly into the skin, as opposed to sitting on the skin like most moisturizers. For this reason, apply face serum after cleansing, and before adding your moisturizer.
Serum vs. Facial Oil
Many don't even realize there is a difference between serum and facial oil, but there is. As mentioned above, a serum contains ingredients that are meant to penetrate the skin. Facial oils, on the other hand, contain ingredients that are heavier and sit on top of the skin (there are some lighter oils that might penetrate a bit). For this reason, facial oils should be applied after a serum, and before moisturizing. Don't miss our list of non toxic facial oils you can trust, made in the USA.
Benefits of Face Serum
- Antioxidant vitamin and mineral boost to skin
- Evenly toned skin
- Lightening of dark spots
- Repair sun damage
- Targeted treatment for wrinkles
- Hydrated and balanced moisture
- Added radiance to complexions
- Primed skin for makeup application
How to Apply Face Serum Under Foundation
When serum is used under foundation, skin care benefits are added to your daily makeup routine.
- Apply the serum to a clean face in upward strokes, I use about 2 pumps.
- Let it set for about a minute before doing any concealer, highlighting or other complexion corrections.
- Now do your corrections.
- Next you will apply foundation. For the best coverage a sponge is ideal. You can stipple the product on without streaks. Stippling creates a smooth finish because it is buffering on the makeup.