To many Americans, the word “pet” does not do justice to the spot our four legged friends have in our hearts. Our cats and dogs are members of our family and are treated as such. Those of us that have “fur children” and animal best friends know how important what goes into their bodies is to their overall health. Do you know what is in the food you give to your cat? Do you read the labels of your dog's treats? What do you really know about your pet food and treats? Don't miss our information about natural pet food made in USA!
Important Update: The FDA has launched an ongoing investigation into pet deaths and illnesses related to the consumption of beef jerky treats. It is estimated that over 1,000 dogs have died. Nearly all of the reported deaths/illnesses can be traced to jerky imported from China. See the FDA notice here.
Here are some tips and suggestions to help you decide what is good for your furry family member. Always remember to consult your veterinarian when changing the diet of your cat or dog. Like humans, every animal is different. Some have allergies, sensitivities and medical issues which could even be associated with a certain dog or cat breeds.
Does buying pet food that says “Made in USA” on the label automatically mean that your dog/cat is 100% safe?
The answer is no, but he/she will be SAFER. Despite where pet food is made, there is still a risk of bacteria contamination. Just like human food, there are no guarantees. Most pet food is not kept in consistent temperature conditions. Heat and humidity can promote bacteria growth. Purchasing pet food made in the USA could decrease this risk as time in transport is lessened. This could decrease exposure to temperature changes.
Remember, the huge pet food recall in 2007? Cats and dogs all over the US were being sickened and killed from pet food that contained melamine. This ingredient originated from China. However, it still was found in products manufactured in the USA. How was this possible? Some pet food made in America contains “fillers”, or additional ingredients added to the product to bulk it up and serves no nutritional purpose. It is not required to list where pet food ingredients come from. The same is true with human food. Reading the ingredient label and doing company research is very important!
Does seeing the word “Natural” on the label mean the pet food is 100% healthier?
Again, the answer is no. There is no regulation in the pet food industry that defines what “natural” means. It could mean there are no added colors, which would make it safer, but not 100% “natural”. You need to read your labels and research the brands. Make sure the pet food manufacturer's definition of “natural” matches yours.
Natural Pet Food Made in USA for Dogs and Cats: The Ultimate Source List
Do all of the products manufactured by the companies named contain 100% made in the USA ingredients? In most cases, no. However, the companies we had chosen to highlight take great pride in research and putting the overall health of our four-legged family members as a #1 priority.
- EVO brand offers pet treats and food for dogs, cats and ferrets. According to the EVO website, their made in the USA pet products contain more protein and fats, and fewer carbs and starches, like the diets of wild dogs and cats. Update: EVO announced discontinuation of manufacturing, stating that it has become too expensive to manufacture pet food of the quality they want. While supplies last, EVO natural pet food made in USA can be purchased here and here.
- Bench & Field holistic natural pet food and treats for dogs and felines has been manufacturing in the USA since 1926. All products are currently made in Wisconsin.
- Clover Gift Shop is a female-owned business in Woodstock, Vermont. This online CBD gift shop offers many Vermont made CBD products, like Cannon's Cannabinoids Pet CBD Drops Bacon Flavor. Made with three simple ingredients including 250 MG’S CBD, grown and processed in Vermont, Organic Coconut MCT Oil, and Natural Bacon Flavor. 20% off Clover Gift Shop CBD products with discount code USALOVE for one-time use and has no expiration.
- Halo pet food for dogs and cats is manufactured in the USA and made from ingredients sourced worldwide. None of the ingredients found in Halo products are sourced from China. Halo products are GMO-free and contain no meat meals.
- The Honest Kitchen 100% human grade pet food for cats and dogs is made in the USA. The Honest Kitchen pet foods contain no ingredients from China, and are soy free, GMO free, wheat free, and corn free.
- Merrick makes cat and dog food (in both wet and dry varieties), as well as pet treats in Hereford, Texas. What I LOVE about Merrick is they state in their 5-Star Promise (located on the Merrick website) that ALL of their ingredients are from local farms and NOTHING comes from China. They consider themselves “natural” because they consider Merrick products to be food in its purest state: no artificial additives, sweeteners, colorings, and preservatives.
- Nutro pet food is manufactured in the USA from ingredients sourced from around the world. Nutro only purchases ingredients from trusted farmers and suppliers, and promises only clean ingredients- only GMO free and real ingredients. The Nutro two dry pet food manufacturing facilities are located in Lebanon, Tennessee and Victorville, California. Nutro can and tray manufacturing facilities are located in Columbus, Ohio, Fort Smith, Arkansas and North Sioux City, South Dakota.
- Solid Gold manufactures wet and dry natural, holistic dog and cat food, and supplements in the USA. All of the Solid Gold pet food is manufactured in the USA except the tuna-based canned cat foods, which are made in Thailand. None of the ingredients in Solid Gold pet food is sourced from China.
- Taste of the Wild premium grain free dog and cat food is made in the USA from globally sourced ingredients.
- Wysong manufactures food and supplements in the USA for dogs, cats, ferrets, rabbits, horses, and yes, humans (supplements). Wysong considers themselves natural because they use all natural ingredients and no artificial sugars, coloring, preservatives. Wysong is family run and was founded by a veterinarian, Dr. Wysong, in 1979. Why do I LOVE Wysong products? Extensive research has been put behind their products and every ingredient serves a nutritional purpose. On their website, Wysong is very honest in where their ingredients originate and in MOST cases they do all come from the US. One thing that Wysong does make clear is that there are no domestic sources for amino acids and ALL are manufactured in China. And FYI, amino acids are considered important dietary supplements and are added to human vitamins too.
Many thanks to the following sources:
- Bone Appetit, Eco-Friendly Dog Store, West Greenwich, RI for the list of products mentioned. They personally research all of the products they sell. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction
- Dog Food Advisor, a website for product rankings and “Think Your Dog's Food Is 100% China Free? Don't Count On It,” by Mike Sagman and “The Truth About “Natural” Dog Food,” by Mike Sagman.
- FDA, US Food and Drug Administration, a website for recall information and other websites as mentioned.
LOVE THIS LIST?
Honestly, we know that you will love these lists too!
CBD for Pets: A Made in USA CBD Pet Products Source List
Made in USA Cat Supplies: The Ultimate Source List
Made in USA Dog Supplies: The Ultimate Source List
Natural Pet Food Made in USA: The Ultimate Source List
Dog Treats Made in USA: The Ultimate Source List
National Dog Day! Made in USA Items for Dogs and Their Humans
Made in USA Gifts for Pet Lovers and Pets