If you follow my Made in USA fashion advice, you know that I'm not a fan of trends – I am a fan of being on trend. With the seasons changing, many of us are shopping for new spring and summer clothes to update our wardrobe. These are some handy suggestions to keep in mind when you are in that fitting room! Remember, you want your style to be current and modern, while still figure flattering. You can find clothing that fits spring fashion trends AND look fabulous. Here is how.
Before You Buy, Try Clothing On!
When it comes to putting together an outfit, ask yourself:
- Do these items enhance my best features?
- Do these items draw attention away from areas I'd rather not highlight?
- Am I buying these items because they are on trend, even if they don't fit well? Is being “In-style” better than not looking my best?
Three Rules for Dressing Your Best, For Different Body Types
- Focus on drawing attention to your waist.
- Wear v-necks or wraps styles. Crew neck, square neck, or button downs can make you look bigger than you, and generally don't show off your frame.
- I personally love the wrap style for hourglass shapes. It's my ultimate go-to because it flatters the curves and highlights the waist.
Tall & Slender
- Prints are perfect for you. You can wear them from top to bottom.
- Highlight your neck by wearing v-neck style, or by accessorizing with chunky jewelry.
- Up your shoe game and wearing shoes that catch everyone's attention.
- You want to create the illusion that your waist is smaller than your hips and shoulders.
- I suggest framing the waist by wearing patterns either on top, or on the bottom.
- Tops or bottoms that hit at the waist are best for you. Think peplum tops or high waisted bottoms.
- If you are pear shaped, I'd suggest wearing pieces that bring the eye upward to the face.
- Wear your prints on top, not on the bottom.
- Dark, sliming colors on the bottom are best for you.
American made Spring Fashion Trend sources
- Covered Perfectly women’s tops made to fit and flatter. Save 20% off your Covered Perfectly order with discount code USALOVE on up to two items OR buy two, get one free. No expiration date.
- Leota has perfect dresses in every size, made in the USA that are always flattering, never wrinkles. Curvy sizes available. combined with other discounts.
- Simplicitie offers women's fashion and plus size fashion, including dresses, tops, and cardigans all cut and sewn in the company's Los Angeles, California factory. Everything is $50 or less. Take 20% off your Simplicitie order with discount code USALOVE. No expiration date
- Karen Kane Note: Not all Karen Kane clothing is made in USA, but items are clearly marked in the description.
- Second Base
Looking for American made sandals to complete that spring outfit? We have that list too! American Made Sandals & Flip Flops to Get You Ready for Summer
For more American made spring fashion trend inspiration visit our Fashion: Made in USA Pinterest board!
Follow USA Love List's board Fashion: Made in USA on Pinterest.
I find dresses on Ninelegant but cannot fine where they are made.
I love these tips but I agree with the comment above, in the end we dress by what makes us feel good!
I used to be one shape, but now everything has fell and drooped. There is no ‘droopy’ shape shown. I think that means we just dress all crazy and hope for the best?
I see these references a lot, and I still have no clue what body shape I have. I am just goofy shaped. That being said, I can use the ideas of pulling the eyes away from areas that I don’t want to accentuate.
My daughter learned a lot about the garment industry in her fashion design courses. I think she would love to hear about some U.S. manufactured product lines.
I love adding floral accessories like scarves or even floral print shoes. Yay summer!
Had a look at the Von Vonni stuff – awesomely adaptable! Now, the question is: which one (or two)?